Monday 13 August 2012

Dawning Of Thorn

It's the hardest of time in Process for me... The story is set and after a lot of work I can now trace the character back 500 years... and further if I'm honest, which has also opened a whole host of exciting opportunities for stories taking place in WW1, The Civil War and even the Discovery of America. But thats not what this film is... This film is the middle of our story and that has been a difficult way to start.

As always when it comes to these things, I have a plan, and a plan that will become ever clearer as time goes on. But the focus is of course THORN 2012 (Which in the chronology of the film series would actually be Thorn 4, but also kind of a reboot to the original 1984 Slasher) Don't worry, it gets way more complicated than this as we go on, but more will be revealed in time. 

The main problem I always have with writing is, that once I've structured the story, I sometimes take a while to make the intricate details work. This has been very true for the new opening that I've been crafting for the film. I wanted the idea of legacy to sit a little better with the films plot and of course that meant that the original opening I had written needed to be re-worked, from the top.

Of course there's a lot of story elements that need to fit in there, that will become relevant much later on in the films closing moments. It's difficult to talk about writing a film without giving away too much about the plot itself, but I will say that I truly feel that we have a story that the character deserves, and that will take us to new level as filmmakers.

Looking over the stuff that I shot for the second half of Slasher House, It become quite evident to me that in the 2 short years since principle photography I have grown as a Filmmaker, as a D.O.P and (through necessity) a Producer and all this will go back in Thorn, which to me has made this project that much more exciting.

MJ

No comments:

Post a Comment